If you haven’t already felt the effects of winter on your skin, you will soon as we buckle in for three more months of chilly weather, wind, and occasional snowfall. During the winter, your skin is constantly berated by the cold air of the wintery outdoors and the dry heat of the indoors. It’s no wonder that the climate can leave skin lackluster, dry, and in worse cases, itchy, flaky, and cracked. Here are ten tips from Laser Lights Cosmetic Center to aid in winterizing your skin:
- Keep up with your skin regimen. Just like the season’s change, your skincare should also change. The routine you started in the summer may not be effective in treating the needs of your skin on colder days. A classic skincare routine consists of a mild cleanser, toner, and moisturizer combo. However, it is best to consult with a specialist to formulate a skincare routine that fulfills your specific needs.
- Book an appointment with a specialist. The best defense is a great offense. Book an appointment with a specialist at our cosmetic laser center who can analyze your skin and suggest skincare practices and products to improve your complexion before it goes awry with wintery obstacles.
- Use a topical hand cream. Did you know that hands have thinner skin and fewer glands than most of the body? This makes them especially susceptible to the elements. Caring for your hands often gets forgotten as we often emphasize the care of our faces, legs, and other body parts. Find a good light moisturizer for your hands.
- Cover your hands and face. On exceedingly cold days, cover your hands to protect them from cold and frost. Similarly, cover your face in broad-spectrum sunscreen. Think of sunscreen as an extra winter layer of clothing.
- Get a Hand Rejuvenation Treatment. Improve your hand health with a moisturizing Hand Rejuvenation Treatment. Treatment options include paraffin wax, laser, and chemical peels for reviving damaged hands.
- Get some sleep. Sleep is essential for cell health because our skin repairs itself during rest. Work and other priorities can cause sleep deprivation and can take a toll on your skin health.
- Drink water. Signs of skin dehydration include itchiness, dullness, darker under-eye circles, shadows, and increased visibility of wrinkles and fine lines. Your body is about 60% water. Maintaining a steady water intake is crucial to your overall health, both your internal organs and skin will thank you.
- Moisturize. Moisturizer should be your best friend throughout the winter. It is the best skincare product to combat flaking and itchiness. Use it frequently and liberally.
- Use a humidifier. The heating systems in your house or office likely blows hot, dry air on cold winter days. An air humidifier can help revive moisture in these spaces and help keep your skin hydrated and supple.
- Get a SilkPeel® rejuvenation treatment. A SilkPeel® rejuvenation treatment evenly abrades the top layer of skin to a depth of 30 microns, exfoliates, and delivers complimentary topicals for a comprehensive skin care experience. SilkPeel® treats not only dryness, but also dullness, acne, aging, and hyperpigmentation.
We at Laser Lights can help you fight back against winter wear. Call to schedule a free skin consultation with us at 770.495.9322 and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.