Veins certainly serve a vital function within the body, but every once in a while, they’ll make themselves known by appearing as a spider vein: a thin, winding, or web-like like under the skin (usually blue, red, or purple). And that’s something we can all do without. Unfortunately, spider veins will impact nearly all of us at some point in our lives, so they’re worth learning about. As your friendly neighborhood laser specialists, our staff at Laser Lights Cosmetic Laser Center are here to give you some insight into why you might develop spider veins, and how you can get rid of them.
Spider veins happen when veins near the surface of the skin become dilated (primarily in the legs or on the face). At their normal size, they would not be visible, but when they dilate and enlarge, they begin to show themselves. While researchers have not yet pinpointed a direct cause for this, numerous factors can be involved:
- Not enough exercise (or too much high-impact exercise like running)
- Sun damage
- Rosacea (a skin condition which causes frequent, persistent facial redness and can also cause facial spider veins)
How to Get Rid of Spider Veins
The first step toward minimizing spider veins (and a step you can take right now, no matter where you are or what you’re doing) is to reduce your risk factors so that existing spider veins stop getting worse and new ones are less likely to form. Here are some tips:
- Get plenty of exercise to strengthen your legs.
- Avoid sitting or standing in one place for too long without fidgeting or changing positions.
- Lose weight if you are overweight, because this will put less pressure on the veins in your legs, especially when you’re doing certain types of exercise.
- Wear compression socks so the pressure on your veins is spread evenly throughout your legs.
- Protect your legs and face from the sun.
- Avoid overly tight or constricting clothing, especially around your waist.
- Maintain a healthy diet with plenty of fiber and limited sodium.
Once the progression is under control, spider veins are treated by damaging the vein so that your body’s natural healing process absorbs and removes it naturally. At Laser Lights, we do this using a specialized laser that is drawn to the color in spider veins. Laser spider vein removal is a quick and simple process, usually involving a series of two to five sessions, but no recovery time and minimal side effects. And remember, new spider veins can always arise (especially if you are genetically sensitive to them), so continue to follow the preventative measures listed above.
The quest for flawless skin extends to men and women of all ages, and spider veins are one of those problems that can lead anyone to feel insecure, especially as the season for shorts ramps up. But working with our skilled, licensed, and experienced aestheticians at Laser Lights will give you a full toolbox of ways to achieve a clearer complexion for your face and body alike. To get started with laser spider vein removal (or any of our dozens of other laser and non-laser cosmetic skin treatments), schedule a free consultation with us. Or, for more skin care tips, monthly special offers, and more, follow Laser Lights on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.